Rob’s been gone just over a week now, and it’s really sinking in how uncomfortable I feel at night. I just feel stressed, in a deep and largely subconscious way, about being here alone at night. My dear RS President, Peggy Leatham, sympathized with me today, and I love her deeply for the much needed compassion and understanding that she continues to offer.
In my continued search for answers Elder Uchtdorf’s Priesthood Session talk this last General Conference, comes to mind:
There once was a man whose lifelong dream was to board a cruise ship and sail the Mediterranean Sea. . . . . Since money was tight, he brought an extra suitcase filled with cans of beans, boxes of crackers, and bags of powdered lemonade, and that is what he lived on every day.
He would have loved to take part in the many activities offered on the ship . . . And, oh, how he yearned for only a taste of the amazing food he saw on the ship—every meal appeared to be a feast! But the man wanted to spend so very little money that he didn’t participate in any of these. He was able to see the cities he had longed to visit, but for the most part of the journey, he stayed in his cabin and ate only his humble food.
On the last day of the cruise, a crew member asked him which of the farewell parties he would be attending. It was then that the man learned that not only the farewell party but almost everything on board the cruise ship—the food, the entertainment, all the activities—had been included in the price of his ticket. Too late the man realized that he had been living far beneath his privileges.
The question this parable raises is, Are we as priesthood holders living below our privileges when it comes to the sacred power, gifts, and blessings that are our opportunity and right as bearers of God’s priesthood?
Reading Elder Uchtdorf’s talk today makes me wonder about the next step to over coming this challenge.
Rob gave me a blessing before he left. We continue to do our part to live worthy of the Lord’s blessings. God loves us, and nothing can separate us from that. Why should I even give a place for the Adversary in this? We still have the priesthood in our lives and, consequently, should live our lives in accordance to the privilege of that “sacred power, gifts, and blessing”. It’s really as simple as that.
结束
jiéshù
the end




2 comments:
I can relate...my husband used to travel for business and there were nights I was home with the kids during storms in which I couldn't sleep without my husband there. I will say that "absence makes the heart grow fonder". I became better at appreciating all the my husband means to me and our family in his absence.
Prayer is my main source of comfort. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
Thanks!
Post a Comment